Sunday, July 25, 2010

Nike was the Greek Goddess of victory.


This is one of the most famous exhibits at the Louvre, having been on display there since 1884. It is a sculpture from Greece, in the second century BC. The full name is Nike of Samothrace, or Winged Victory of Samothrace... usually shortened to just Winged Victory. I was lucky enough to see this beauty when I was in Paris a few years ago, though these pictures aren't mine.


Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am absolutely crazy about Greek mythology. I am pretty familiar with a lot of it, or at least I'd like to think so... but I still constantly find myself learning new things. For example, the fact that Nike was the Greek goddess of victory. Think about that next time you buy a pair of gold high-top Air Dunks with black sequined panels ;)

Speaking of... those may be my favourite shoes ever. My grandma bought them for me as a 2-in-1 for Christmas and my birthday... since they were so expensive, and my birthday is only four days after Christmas, I asked her to just get me this one present for both occasions. I can't very well say that I regret my decision!

I also really adore this shirt... which I actually took from my aunt in Iran. Well, she gave it to me, after seeing how much I liked it. My aunt is... shall I say, a little meatier than me, so this shirt is slightly baggy on me. It sort of has a boyish fit that I love, and it actually inspired me to try and find another shirt with a similar fit. I sort of succeeded: I found a plain striped t-shirt from Forever 21, of which I got the large size. It actually looks pretty nice, and it was only about $6, so I'm happy! I might even go get another colour or two sometime later :)

Not much more to say here... though I note that my hair does not normally look this horrible; it was wet when these pictures were taken.



The fabled Air Dunks.






striped t-shirt from my aunt
my first pair of skinny jeans, from forever 21 [bought years ago... so ancient that they have a huge hole in the knee :)]
my beloved gold nikes
clear lenses
jewelry, jewelry, jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment